Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thankful

Back when I initially promised to blog everyday, I asked Kara (who really needs to update her blog) to suggest a topic. Fortunately for me (and you) she didn't stick to her initial ideas of enlarged uvulas or spring fashion trends. Instead she suggested posting ten things I'm thankful for. So here we go...

10. Iced Tea. I can't say enough about this delightful beverage that I seem to be addicted to lately. It needs to be in a big glass with a straw and lots of ice.

9. My 800 thread count sheets. They were a bit expensive but are so nice and soft that I'm tempted to stay in bed all day (yeah - like that would ever happen and besides I've been there, done that).

8. Big Murphy hugs. A wonderful thing about big dogs is that they give and receive big hugs. I would never hug a person as hard as I hug Murphy and he just soaks it up - and so do I.


7. Rice Krispie Squares. I don't think that this particular square gets the recognition it deserves. I really think it's one of my favourite things (other than spaghetti). I've made 2 pans of it this week and I think I'll make another tonight.



6. Jim getting my garden ready for planting. Although he has always helped, since the car accident the bulk of the work falls on his shoulders. This year we won't be planting as much as we won't be around to harvest. We'll be sticking with vegetables that ripen earlier in the season and planting whatever else we can in deck boxes so it can join us when we move.

5. Corn on the cob. A favourite of mine and Bennett's - it's also a great two handed activity!


4. Bennett's chubby, little boy hands. I could look at those little fingers with dirt under the nails every day. And to this day when he slips his grubby, sticky hand in mine, my heart skips a beat.

3. Bathroom applause (TMI warning). It is pretty much impossible for me to go alone for two reasons. First of all, there are times when Bennett just can't seem to have me out of his sight. The second reason is because our bathroom door doesn't close properly. One of the first things I'm going to do when we move is make sure that every door in the house works! Anyway, despite the fact that I'm rarely alone, Bennett always applauds whenever I sit on the toilet. It's much appreciated as I don't get nearly enough standing ovations anymore.

2. Freshly made pogos! We've discovered a chip stand that is about an hour's drive away that makes the best pogos (corn dogs). They are well worth the drive. Bennett loves them too - slathered in mustard....mmmm.........

1. Friends like Kara. I'm not grateful for cerebral palsy and I never will be, but if Bennett didn't have it, I would never have met Kara.

3 comments:

Mummu and Poppa said...

We learn something new everyday and today we learned about you - some things we knew and some things we did not - rice krispie squares and corn on the cob - nothing like a bed well made with the cool feel of the sheets (there certainly is a difference with the thread count) and being able to get ourside and work in the garden. Jim, Bennett and Murphy just seem to round things off in your life circle.

Let's all agree that life is well worth living and being thankful for as long as we have our most valuable treasurers - the people and the things that we like most.

Great Blog and a great way for us to start our day.

Everyday we should all take time and give thanks.

Thanks a bunch Barbara and continued blessings and love to you and yours.

Poppa and Mummu
xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo

Kara said...

Dang, I was really hoping you'd go with the Spring fashion trends idea. I really wanted to hear your thoughts on military hot pants.

"Thankful" is a nice second choice though - I like how it makes you take pleasure in the little things in life. (Such as having a normal sized uvula.)

Your list is great and I'll probably make both iced tea and Rice Krispie squares today because of it.

Re: your last item I have this to say: I feel so thankful that we met too. You're the perfect mix of sarcastic sidekick, compassionate confidante and entertaining dinner date. (I am also thankful that you didn't include a picture of me.)

Barbara said...

Mummu- Well said!

Kara - Ditto! I did consider a picture for a very brief moment....