Friday, May 28, 2010

Junior Kindergarten

Yesterday we went to a "Welcome to Kindergarten" session at our local school. Because Bennett will turn four before January 31, 2010, he is eligible to start school in September. To be honest, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I can't stop thinking that if he had been born just a few days later or in mid January when he was supposed to be born we wouldn't even be thinking about this for another year. From what I've read and heard from parents, kids that are born late in the year are often at a disadvantage. Considering that Bennett is already starting with other disadvantages makes it even more difficult.

Legally he doesn't have to go to school until he's six, so obviously I have some options. Bennett did get into the JK program at our local Children's Treatment Centre. This is a regular classroom but it only has six kids and each child is pulled out for therapies. All of their treatment goals are also worked into the classroom routine. This program is five mornings a week. However, next year schools in Ontario are offering full day/everyday JK. This means that we also have the option of sending Bennett to our community school for the afternoon.

We are definitely committed to the morning JK program. The afternoon class at our local school is still optional. At this point we've agreed to try it out and see how it goes. My reasoning for sending him there is to keep him around other kids that are verbal as well as providing an opportunity to get to know other children in the neighbourhood. If it doesn't work out we'll deal with it by either withdrawing him completely or maybe sending him for just a couple afternoons. Fortunately there's flexibility at this stage.

I'm just really having a difficult time with Bennett starting school in three months! I guess that's pretty typical though for most parents.

6 comments:

Erin said...

That's pretty crazy! What a grown-up boy. I'm sure he'll do amazingly well in typical Bennett style. Enjoy your summer! :)

Unknown said...

Hi. Good plan to be flexible. See how it goes. Bennett seems to be so social,this might be just what the doctor ordered (so to speak). Best of luck
Auntie Bonnie

Barbara said...

Erin - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Bonnie - I think because he's so social he'll enjoy it. That's one of the biggest reasons why we're trying it out.

Mummu and Poppa said...

Have you ever been in a group that Bennett has not eventually warmed-up to??

It might take a few minutes or hours but he does charm the people around him and this causes him to be the 'hit of the party' so to speak.

By school time in the Fall Bennett may be very verbal as we hear such changes in his speach every week.

He is our boy and we wish him, mom and dad, and the school system the best.

Love and Prayers
Poppa and Mummu
xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo

Sheila said...

Sending them to school is SO hard! But I do think that having Malayna around other kids has been really good for her in many ways. And once you find that they're happy there you begin to look forward to the time alone while they're at school! Having options is the best way to go though! I'm sure Bennett will do great!

Barbara said...

Mummu - Our guy is certainly a charmer. I have no doubt he'll make new friends quickly!

Sheila - I couldn't agree more that having our kids around other kids benefits them a lot. I think it helps with socialization but also provides motivation for them to keep working on all their skills. Like you said it's hard but I'm sure I'll enjoy it too!