Sunday, February 8, 2009

Home Sweet Home


Well, we made it back. Over the years we have travelled a lot. I love planning a trip and going on a trip but my favourite part has always been coming home. I love my frosty home and would never live anywhere else. We had a great trip but missed Bennett desperately. I think he missed us too - he's been pretty snuggly all weekend and full of smiles. I've also missed reading all my favourite blogs - I hope to get caught up with all of you soon.

We had great weather in the Dominican - it was hot and sunny every day except for the last. We went on an excursion offered by our tour company. At one point I mentioned to the guide that many people who live in a cold climate often dream of going someplace warm. I asked him if when it's really hot he dreamed of going somewhere cold. He looked at me like I had lost my mind and said "No -never". Hmmm...there goes that theory.

In keeping with the theme that has dominated my life for the last 2.5 years, there was also a bit of drama when we got home late Friday afternoon. It did not take long to discover that our sump line and our septic line were frozen. The septic line promptly exploded when we flushed the toilet. That night, we re-packed some stuff and took Bennett to a local hotel. On the Saturday morning, Uncle Austin, the family fix-it guy came out and helped Jim repair the problems. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't the end of the world but it would have been nice if it hadn't happened. No one could ever argue that my life is boring.

I made a video of our vacation photos. I've tried to make it as entertaining as possible. Enjoy...

6 comments:

Kara said...

That was great!! Very entertaining! (Loved "Snowbird" at the beginning too!)

It looks like you had a really fantastic time - thanks for sharing the pictures! It made me wildly jealous and craving a tropical vacation of my own.

I have to say though, I'm glad you're back....a week without talking to you felt like a month!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done! You two are very cute! Bennett comes by it naturally!

(other) Barbara

Unknown said...

What a wonderful slide/video show. I loved seeing the place you two were. It looks fantastic.

I'm not at all surprised that the sump line froze. It was bitter here all the time you were away. I heard that frozen line provided a night in the hotel for the three of you - and that Bennett loved it. He probably thought this was part of the package - you go away, leave him, and then take him for his "holiday" when you return. Good plan!

Well my dears - enjoy the memories - and the great welcome home from Bennett and the rest of us. We missed you!
Love,
Auntie Bonnie

Anonymous said...

we were happy to hear that you had a great time on your holidays. I'll bet we had more fun with Bennett, though. He had a cold, but it didn't stop him from being his usual energetic self. He managed to poop us both out!
I miss waking up in the morning with him sleeping beside me. He is so cute when he wakes up. He slowly opens his eyes, smiles and dozes off again. He does that several times before he is properly awake. He gave me a scare though at about 5:30am one day. I could feel someone staring at me (acutally breathing on me) and I opened my eyes and there we were eyeball to eyeball. I almost jumped out of bed!!! Now waking up isn't as much fun anymore (not that I miss being kicked or head butted when I"m sound asleep). Mornings with him gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling all over.
We took him to his first day of "school", the Junior Path program. (I think that's what it's called). Leaving him there almost did me in which was kind of silly of me since he obviously had a great time there. The next day was easier.
Although he wore us out it was more than worth having him here "vacationing" with us. He spent the first 5 days "vacationing" with mummu and poppa and apparently had a wonderful time there too!
Glad that Barbara and Jim are back.
Lots of love, hugs and kisses
grandma and grandpa

Dawn said...

The pics were great! What a nice trip, it would be so nice to go someplace warm. Sorry you had a rough welcome home though. :( I'm sure Mr. Bennett was so happy to have you both home.

Ellen Seidman said...

That is one awesome video. I almost felt like I'd gotten away. Almost!!!! You all so deserved the trip, glad you got to go.