Saturday, May 8, 2010

Splish Splash I Was Takin' A Bath

This story, like most of my stories needs a bit of background. When we first brought Bennett home we would bath him in a dish pan on my hospital bed table so I could participate. Once I was able to stand we progressed to the nifty tub that fit in the kitchen sink. It wasn't long until he outgrew that tub and we had to move on to the regular tub in the bathroom. This presented a problem for me as I'm unable to kneel or squat. That combined with Bennett's mobility and balance issues makes an unfortunate and unsafe situation. As a result Jim has pretty much taken over bath time. The few exceptions are when I feel nimble enough to actually get in the tub with Bennett. I enjoy this time together playing and sneaking in those ever important stretches and figure that we can probably continue until Bennett is about four.

For safety reasons, Jim is always at home when this happens. However, on Thursday night I thought Bennett and I would be ok while Jim took Murphy for a quick walk. So, there we were splishin' and a splashin' and having a great time. And then Bennett suddenly stood up, bent over and clutched the side of the tub. Within seconds his eyes became focused and his face flushed. I would never claim to be be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm not the dullest either and I quickly figured out what was about to happen. Panic set in as I asked him if he could sit on the potty and he furiously shook his head "no". I knew I was running out of time and options and I was frantically looking for something to catch what I knew was coming. And then - it was too late - there it was - just like a torpedo - and then it was bobbing in the tub! With lightening fast reflexes that I didn't even know I had, I scooped it up and flipped it into the garbage can which was a couple feet from the tub. And then the laughter started - Bennett thought it was hysterical. He was laughing so hard he could barely stand - he would only stop long enough to point at the garbage can and say "poop" and then he would descend into uncontrollable giggles again. Once my horror subsided I started to laugh too. It was pretty funny.

I don't need to drag this story out anymore but rest assured that we both got cleaned up as did the tub. Jim and Murphy came back and said, "I guess you two had a good time, I could hear Bennett laughing all the way up the street!".

4 comments:

Kiera said...

LOL!!! I love it! That is too funny! That is great that Bennett has a sense of humor about those things. It amazes me how little boys find all of the bodily functions so funny!

I am very impressed with your reflexes!

Barbara said...

I think it's definitely a boy thing. We have a commercial here in Canada - I think it's for Huggies diapers, where the baby boy pees on the ceiling when he's being changed. Bennett howls with laughter everytime he sees it and wants to watch it again.

I just hope Bennett doesn't repeat this particular event. I think I've been traumatized!

Kara said...

OMG

Barbara said...

Kara - my thoughts exactly...