Monday, June 7, 2010

He Amazes Me

Sometimes I'm guilty of making the same mistake that I'm always worried other people will make - underestimating Bennett. I know he is smart and I know he doesn't miss anything but sometimes he comes out with stuff that blows my mind. Here are some examples from the last few days.

1. A couple weeks ago we were driving out to look at some trailers - it's out of town so it's a road we've only travelled a couple of times. Way off in the distance was some kind of large mining contraption - considering I grew up and live in a mining town with many friends and family who work in the industry it's kind of strange that I don't know what it is - but for the sake of this story we'll call it a contraption. Anyway, Bennett wanted to know what it was so Jim told him and added that sometimes Daddy works there. A few days ago we were driving the same road again and I could see Bennett watching out the window. Sure enough when we drove by the contraption, Bennett pointed it out, said "Dada" and signed "work".

2. Bennett received a couple new books recently. We were looking through them the other night. One page had a picture with the Sun, Moon, stars, Mars, Saturn and Earth. Bennett pointed out the Sun and Moon (both words he can say). For the heck of it I asked him where "Earth" was. It's something we've gone over maybe once or twice so I wasn't surprised when he pointed to it right away and tried to say it. However, I was surprised with the next word that came out of his mouth - he pointed at the Earth again and said "Home". Wow - that's a pretty big concept for a three year old to get. Especially when it's not something you've ever discussed before.

3. On the weekend we had to go and select a new bed. Our current one is only a year old but we're having problems with the mattress that are covered under warranty. We were sitting and waiting in a large room while they searched for our information. Bennett - never content to sit for long was wandering and flirting with the sales staff. An older woman sitting across the room asked me if Bennett was wearing a brace because he had broken his ankle. My response was a simple "No" because I don't owe anyone an explanation even if they are a nice old lady. Bennett - obviously an eavesdropper came racing over to me, picked up my right leg and pointed out my ankle to the nice old lady. I honestly don't know if I've ever even told Bennett that I broke my ankle - he knows that mommy has a boo-boo but we've never given him the details.

He honestly just blows my mind. I think because we don't have a lot of words coming out we assume that maybe he's not paying attention or doesn't understand sometimes. Obviously, we couldn't be more wrong.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow, he is one amazingly smart boy! Way to go, Bennett!

Anonymous said...

I want to reach into the screen and plant a smooch on him! What a doll! A lot going on behind those beautiful eyes! Barbara

amy said...

That is a beautiful picture!

Maddy knows what 'earth' is but I don't really think she understands that we live on it. That is a big concept!

Barbara said...

Sheila - Thank you!

Barbara - Virtual smooches - I'm sure they'll be possible soon and Bennett is always more than willing to share.

Amy - Thank you! I love the picture - he looks very serious in it which is funny because he certainly is not a serious boy.