Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

This post is dedicated to our mothers - my mother Suzanne (better known as Mikey) and Aline, Jim's mother.

We want to say thank you to these two great women. Jim and I are very lucky to have such wonderful mothers who dedicated much of their lives to raising us - and if I do say so myself, I think they both did a pretty good job!

Of course we both have many memories of our mothers. Some of my favourites involve our family camping trips and I know that one of Jim's is his mother trudging through the snow carrying his hockey bag for him as he made his way to hockey practice! We also have some other memories like my mother kneeling on top of me forcing a green bean into my mouth. Jim remembers his mother driving over him with a dual wheel truck just to beat the traffic (don't worry, this particular story is much exagerrated).

Both mothers did not have it easy early on in our childhoods - my mother lost a child and I lost a brother. But they never let difficult times affect the love and attention they showered on both of us. Neither Jim or I grew up in families with a lot of money - but we didn't have a clue - we had what we needed and that was enough.

I don't know what we would've done without our mothers over the past year and a half. We are truly lucky and we know it.

Thank you to both of our mommies!

2 comments:

Mummu and Poppa said...

Thanks for the memories - and yes the dual tire story is oh so true. Jim was just too young to be carriying that heavy hockey bag. What is a mother for I ask you??? ... but to try and make her child's load a little lighter.

Jim will always be 'my baby boy' who can do no wrong - according to his two sisters and myself.

One reward of being a mother is becoming a grand mother of which no words can fully describe. Thank God for Bennett, Dee Dee and Amber.

There is no love like a mother's love - ever nourishing, sharing and forever finding joy and satisfaction in her greatest accomplishment - her family.

As Bob Hope used to say 'Thanks for the Memories'.

Love and Prayers
Mom
xxx ooo xxx ooo

Grandma and grandpa said...

Hi Bennett,
let me tell you a little bit about your mommy. Grandpa and Grandma wanted to have a baby so much. It took a long time butyour mother finally made her appearance. I fell head over heals in love with her, the first time I saw her. She was a great baby, a lot like you. She knew what she wanted, was quite stubborn and very curious about everything. (So now we know where you got those qualities from) Your daddy has a lot of those qualities also. You will need all their strenghts to help you overcome the challenges that the future holds for you. I have no doubts at all that you will achieve any goal that you set for yourself and don't forget that you are surrounded by people who will be there when you need them.
Your mommy was so excited when she found out that she was finally pregnant. Your grandfathers and grandmothers were over the moon delighted at the news. However, your parents told us that we were not to tell anyone about it till she said it was ok. Finally, she said that we could tell anyone the great news. It almost killed me to have to wait over 4 months to let everyone know that we would be grandparents! I just stopped short of calling the local television network and the newspapers. We were all so happy!
Then your mother was involved in
"the accident". From that moment on all our lives were changed. However, the best part is that you and your mommy survived. This is where we learned the true meaning of the words---bravery, strenght, pain and tenaciousness.
We all love you so much. I just wish that every child in the world could be loved as much as we love you!
So, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, Barbara.
And thank you for Bennett.
Grandma