Sunday, April 20, 2008

Milestone Update

Or inchstone update as I heard someone once refer to these achievements.

Crawling: In physiotherapy we have been working on getting Bennett into and holding a crawling position. Once there we try to encourage him to go forward by holding a towel under his chest and urging him to move. His arms move but he seems to have difficulty in getting his right leg to follow. Crawling may not be in the cards for our boy, but we'll keep trying as it's a great way for him to build strength on his weaker side. You can see that he wants to move and gets a bit frustrated when he can't. Although he isn't moving forward, he is moving backwards quite well. We actually invested in a baby gate for the stairs, which will make both grandmothers and our wonderful neighbour Nancy very happy.

Lying to Sitting: We have been working on this one for a while - and I'm very proud to announce that we have success! Bennett has pretty much mastered this skill, although it is definitely still an effort on his part. Not only is he getting better at this everyday, he will do it on command 95% of the time. Two nights ago, he also managed to sit up from lying flat on his back - that is a really hard one. We were so surprised and I'm glad I had a witnesss (Mummu) there to reassure me that I wasn't seeing things.

Pulling Up: This is the next thing we're working on. The idea is to get him pulling up and then hopefully cruising and then walking. Once again he has the desire to do this but it will be a while I think before all the pieces fall into place (strength, using both hands, balance, confidence).

Kissing: I guess this isn't really a milestone, but it's great all the same. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to try and teach him to give kisses earlier, but I tried it the other night. He picked it up in no time at all and now gives them quite freely - about half are with a closed mouth and the other half with a wide open slobbery mouth. I don't know which I like better.

Here are three videos. One is of him sitting up, another of him showering Daddy with kisses and another that is him being cute on his belly and getting too distracted by toys to sit up for his mommy who was trying to tape the video for the blog.

5 comments:

Popcorn House said...

I think I am emotional today for some reason, but those videos made me tear up!!! He is just so happy and doing SUPER good. I love him kissing his daddy. I guess it just hit me, that as hard as they have to work (our hemi kids)they just DO IT and seem so happy doing it!

Sheila said...

Yay Bennett! How great to see you working so hard. And I love the kisses!

Kiera said...

I am with Suze! These videos were so cool and they made me emotional! I am so happy for all of you! Bennett is doing so well and I love the little kisses!

Mummu and Poppa said...

Bennett: You are such a 'hard worker' and we receive the best pay - kisses. We all look forward to receiving our 'paycheck'. Bunches of hugs an kisses to you.

Keep up the good work.

It will not be easy but the rewards will be endless. Just look at Bennett today - as compared to two months ago. He recognizes people, some body parts, roles over, pulls himself to his knees in the crib, sits up, is starting to stand at the coffee table. What strides! What's next? Only time will tell! For now, everything is new and a plus. Keep going 'big boy'. We love you.

The videos were the best.

Prayers, peace, love and joy to all.

Mummu and Poppa
xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo

Grandma and grandpa said...

Hi Bennett,
Grampa and grandma are so proud of you. You are progressing in leaps and bounds. And you sure are not afraid to try to do something. It seems that you have a whole bunch of people in your exclusive "Love Bennett Club" !
Today you identified Bowser and Katie correctly by pointing at them, when we asked you to and you showed us where your delectable little toes are. We were very happy to have you visit with us while your mommy went to run some errands. She asked that we not let you have a nap. Of course, we agreed! (NOT).
You could hardly keep your eyes opened. So, you and I went to catch up on some sleep for a little while. You snuggled right up to me and curled yourself up into a tight little ball. I love it when you do that! I love watching your face as you sleep. You had a nap and I didn't. lol.
I almost forgot. You are such a GOOD KISSER.........wet or dry makes no difference. We love them both. And, we love to get lots of kisses. I'm so happy that mommy is keeping a blog because I can watch all the little videos. I especially love the kissing one with daddy. Actually, I love all of the videos and so does your grandpa. I'm looking forward to the next kissing bout.
Lots of love, KISSES, and hugs
Grandma & grandpa