Friday, April 30, 2010

Potty Problems


I'm sure you could find at least two problems with the picture above. First of all, yes I realize that Bennett should take his pants off BEFORE sitting on the potty and yes, I also realize that he still has a soother. And believe it or not, I don't really have a problem with either. If you were to look at the Top Ten List of Things That Keep Barbara Up At Night, neither the potty or soother would be there.

However, I thought I would discuss the potty situation anyway. In some ways, I believe Bennett is close - I think we could get there and I know we'll get it eventually. One of the problems we're having at the moment is that Bennett is VERY reluctant to even sit on the potty. I don't know why this happened and I'm not sure what to do about it although I'm sure my best friend Google will have something to say.

Bennett tells us when he poops - after it happens in most cases. When I manage to catch him at the beginning or in the middle of such an event, I ask him to try the potty. His response is a furious shaking of the head "no". The last two mornings he has woken up dry but refuses to use the potty. I don't want to force the issue but it is a bit frustrating when you feel that you're so close. Oh well, fortunately I have patience for this as well as lots of coupons for diapers.....

3 comments:

Mummu and Poppa said...

Have no fear - summer is near!

With the 'good weather' and shorts Bennett will train himself.

Great Picture!

Such a 'scholar' reading the 'MAN' book - the bargain hunter. Good job, Bennett.

The soother will be 'done with' when Bennett is ready. He is really good because when he is here he has it only to rest. Once again, good job, Bennett.

A Boy has to do what a boy has to do. Right Bennett????

Love
Poppa and Mummu
xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo

Amy said...

I'm jealous that you are close! Maddy lies to me when I ask her if she's pooped, even when she clearly has! I'm like you though...it's not keeping me up at nice. That's one of the (few!) nice things about having a child with special needs....you can just opt out of the typical time table and let them take it at their own pace.

Barbara said...

Mummu - yes this summer is the goal. However, I'm not firm on that! And the Bargain Hunter - I don't think anyone would use the bathroom around here if it wasn't for that book!

Amy - I couldn't agree more about the special needs thing. I think I would be kind of relaxed about potty training regardless but certainly not quite as calm as I am now. I'm pretty sure it will happen but like you said - it will be on Bennett's schedule not mine.