Monday, March 16, 2009

Grateful


Overall, I would say that we have been very lucky with the medical professionals who have treated Bennett. Other than his initial pediatrician and an incredibly arrogant AFO guy, our experiences have been very positive.

Bennett is currently receiving treatment from a physiotherapist, speech therapist and occupational therapist. How great is it that we like and respect all three of these people? I believe that they really want to help Bennett and care about his progress.

Barbara from TherExtras will appreciate this story I think. Bennett goes to daycare for two mornings a week. As part of his treatment, the therapists visit the daycare to address any concerns and to help make sure that the environment is accessible. When Bennett recently moved rooms it became apparent that his feet no longer touched the floor when seated at the table. As Barbara has pointed out in her blog on many occasions, it is important for everyone to have proper posture when seated. There were no loaner chairs available so to remedy this situation our occupational therapist came out to the daycare and built the chair you see in the picture above. It took her over an hour but it does the trick. Bennett is set but unfortunately, all the other kids are still sitting in chairs that leave their legs dangling.

I try to thank our therapists on a regular basis and let them know that I appreciate their work. I really am very grateful for what they do. The picture above is just one example of their dedication.

8 comments:

Kiera said...

Wow! That is wonderful that you have such supportive therapists. That makes all of the difference in the world!

I love that they were willing to come out and help you set up the environment to meet Bennett's needs :)

Unknown said...

What a blessing to have such loving support! I'm sure Bennett feels special - with his special chair. Congrats to the OT who thought this up. They are creative, aren't they?
Love,
Auntie Bonnie

Popcorn House said...

That is so nice of them to take the time to do those things. You and Bennett are so lucky to have them. I think that has been so nice for us as well, to be working with people that really care about us. It certainly is a blessing!

Anonymous said...

You BET I appreciate this story! Thanks so much, Barbara.

I tend to think your experience and the work of your therapists is more common than not.

My next (big) series topic will be early intervention services - don't know if that is what birth-to-three services are called in Canada. (But not to start until a few weeks from now.)

Regarding the other dangling feet...children without diagnosed motor issues can function okay without perfect seating (mentioned this once in my comments). However, I think everyone is advantaged by a good seating arrangement. Advantaged meaning developing better postures for hand function and not developing poorer postures that set-up problems later.

Thanks again!

(other) Barbara

Kara said...

Very inventive of her! Kasia's OT had a foam solution for her dangling legs at the nursery school as well, though her feet were over 6-INCHES from touching the floor, which made the size of foam necessary more like a footstool!

(And I still think you should add some pizzazz to that styro-throne. Gems, glitter, stickers?)

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,
I agree with Kara. We should break out our crafting stuff and heaven knows, that what kara doesn't have,I do. I was amazed at the ingenuaty shown by the physio-therapist. Bennett, has the coolest chair in the room. It was also my first visit to a day care. I was impressed. Things have sure changed since you were small. Child care agencies were few and far between and I often had to use neighbours to look after you while I was at nursing school. (I didn't go for long...had to make a choice between career or my daughter.....you won out)
Rightly so in our case and I don't regret my decision one bit!
I much prefered playing cabin with the sofa pillows, sheets and whatever else we needed. Now THAT was FUN!
I'm also very impressed as to how fast Bennett is learning stuff and he gets to play with and interact with other kids. That will go far in his development.
Lots of love, hugs and kisses
Grandma and grandpa

Dawn said...

That is one cool set-up. We are all so lucky that we have such great people looking out for our kiddos.

Ellen Seidman said...

I have met some less-than-great doctors over the years, but nearly every single therapist has been absolutely amazing. I always think of them as saints. That chair is great!