Monday, July 20, 2009

Meet Henry


Henry is a doll that came in a Potty Kit for Boys that I bought in a fit of enthusiasm one day long ago. He comes with his own little potty, a book and a video. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it all because honestly, I haven't even looked at it yet but for some reason thought it would be a good idea to let Bennett play with Henry and the potty. Since Murphy has arrived we have focused on house training him. Considering that I haven't cleaned up a Murphy mess in over a month now, maybe it's time to shift my focus back to Bennett.

I guess right now I'm making the excuse that Bennett is not verbal and *people* always say the child will *tell* you when they're ready. Granted, Bennett is a wonderful little communicator - he uses signs and gestures and has his communication book and device. So, I guess I should at least consider trying some more. I think August is a good time for that - yeah August.....

Anyway, I was talking about Henry. Bennett does like to play with the little doll despite its incredibly creepy appearance and resemblance to another famous doll (think Chucky). The other day he was playing with Chucky - oops I mean Henry - and he placed him on the potty. When he took him off, he looked in the potty, then stuck his finger in the potty and then just to reassure himself I guess, he took the potty and dumped it upside down. He then came and grabbed my hand and dragged Henry and I to the bathroom where he insisted that Henry wash his hands. I'm all for good hygeine - even if it is a doll - so we proceeded to wash Henry's hands. However, Bennett had a problem with the fact that I didn't use real soap and water. As many of you know, it's a lot harder than you might think to fool a 2 year old. Somehow, I managed to convince Bennett that it was ok not to actually wet the doll's hands. I'm very happy that Bennett recognizes the importance of hand washing. However, I am less keen on the idea of pretending to wash a doll's hands 35 times a day.

While we're talking potty time does anyone have tips on how to potty train a non-verbal child? Oh, and for those of you wondering what's under Henry's diaper - I have to say that picture is definitely not appropriate for this blog!

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh my, that Henry doll looks a little freaky. Good luck with the potty training. That was one area of child rearing that I did a horrible job on. Both the boys had lingering issues for years and we still deal with Austin issues and I don't know if it's CP related, psychological, or maybe some other physiological problem. I hope that Bennett and his training is smooth sailing for you. And kudos for him on the good hygiene.

Amy said...

Good luck with the potty training. Maddy is so_NOT_ there yet so I have no advice. She's been sitting on the potty every night for months before her bath and she still really has no idea what the deal is (At her bath the other night I ran to get a wash rag and she peed on the rug right next to the potty instead of sitting on it!). I'm just going to continue letting her get comfortable with the potty, trying not to pressure her. I heard the average age for girls is 35 months and boys is 39 months so don't feel bad if it doesn't take right away.

Anonymous said...

I think I read somewhere that August is the PERFECT month for potty training...something about the correct stars over the northern (far north) hemisphere.

At least Chu-Henry has hair. On his head, I mean. MATT is still waiting for his. I'm thinking he might get a face for Christmas.

I never published the comment but one poor lady said MATT creeped-her-out.

(that other) Barbara

PS Just read Amy's comment. Did I mention, August of his FOURTH year?

Popcorn House said...

I hate potty training. Yuck! I am going to start training Sammy when I get the kids back to school. He tells us constantly that he has to pee. I finally after lots of attempts tell him he has a diaper on. BAD MOM! Just too much hassle to take his clothes off a million times when nothing ever happens.

GOOD LUCK!!! I have some experience so if you need anything during this process let me know. We give candy, candy, and more candy. With some kids we had to give them candy to just sit on the potty. POSITIVE TALK ONLY only bright and bubbly parents! But four out of five are 100% trained, night and all.....so we will just stick to our brides and cheers one more time ;o) I think we have gone through just about every mishap, so ask away!!!

Kiera said...

That is a scary looking little dolly! I am impressed that you are thinking about toilet training. We have not even started down that path, so I have no words of wisdom.

That is an adorable story about the hand washing though! I love seeing their little personalities comes through!

Unknown said...

Bennett seems clear on what Chucky (Henry) should do. Amazing eh - he has it down pat. I think you are so right - he will tell you when he's ready. I had a great conversation with Bennett on the phone on Saturday a.m. when I phoned Aline. The amazing thing was that he wanted to talk to me. Most kids shun the phone.

You're doing a great job - and yes, I had heard that August is "the" month for potty training. Best of luck - - I'll be thinking of you all.
Love,
Auntie Bonnie

Mummu and Poppa said...

Ah, yes, potty training - a time like no other in the bonding of parent, child and potty.

No matter what people say, boys are definately more difficult to train. Boys always have'something else to do'.

While visiting with us, Bennett has gone 'potty' a few times. My problem is getting him undone from the diaper intime.

It is not always the child but it is always the parent who has to be 'trained'. As soon as he wakes up put him on the potty and don't forget to sing 'Twinkle, twinle, Little Star'. Bennett really relates to the song and the piddle.
Horray for PATH.

Today we will be purchasing 'pull-ups'. They are just so much easier to work with than the diapers. I think that Bennett will like the idea of being able to put himself on and off of the potty.

Well, that's my story and I will keep you posted.

Lots of love and God Bless!

P.S. You have done a remarkable job with Murphy so you should do equally well with 'His Highness'.

xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo xxx ooo

Katy said...

Melanie over at Better Than Normal did a very post on potty training special needs kids--she learned the technique from a her son's school. You might want to e-mail her.

I have no advice. We taught Charlie to poop in the potty and once he figured out what was going on, he refused to have anything to do with pooping on the potty.