Friday, April 24, 2009

What's New?

Sometimes I can't believe my life. For the last week I have been walking around in a state of disbelief. Last Friday I was informed by a doctor that I must have my gall bladder removed and it must be done soon. Granted, I have been having some stomach issues but I assumed stress was to blame. Fortunately, from what I've been told, I can live quite well without my gall bladder. So, I guess that's a good thing. If the surgery gets rid of my stomach problems, then I guess that's another good thing.

However, the fact that I will be having my FIFTH surgery in 2.5 years is almost too much. In fact, it will be my EIGHTH surgery in the last 6 years. That's more than 1 surgery a year!!! What the heck is going on? Believe it or not, I have always been a very healthy person. I can't believe that in less than 4 weeks I will once again be strapped to an operating table. I'm getting to know the surgery staff in our local operating room way too well. It's pretty bad when the nurses see you and say "Hey, you're back again!".

Maybe I could get the doctor to just remove all my non-vital organs while he's there and save myself from future operations. After all, I still have my tonsils and my spleen.

Seriously, I can't even believe it....

8 comments:

Popcorn House said...

Thinking and praying for you guys! Please keep us updated on everything. You are one strong lady that is all I have to say!

Barbara said...

I understand a spleen come in handy once in a while...tonsils, too. I'm all for efficiency in medical care, but...

Expecting all to go well with this next anesthetic adventure.

Unknown said...

The good news - GB surgery is very routine. You are usually in and out on the same day. More good news - you'll feel so much better if your stomach problems are resolved! I'm surrounding you with love and light.
Auntie Bonnie

Ellen Seidman said...

Well, at least you have your sense of humor!!! I am sorry. I've also heard that gallbladder surgery these days is pretty easy, as far as surgeries go. But I agree, crazy that it's surgery #5 within a three-year period. At least your stomach will be feeling better afterward, hopefully.

Amy said...

I actually had to have my gallbladder out when I was 25. It's not that bad. I came home the next day (I chose to stay overnight since I was new to my city and only had roommates to go home to), and was totally 100% again within a week or so.

Good luck! Sorry, it seems like when it rains it pours, doesn't it....

Erin said...

Hang in there Barbara! I will keep you in my thoughts. :)

Dawn said...

Oy Vey! Indeed that is a lot of surgery for one so young. We'll hope that this helps your belly issues though and will be worth it overall. Keep us posted.

Mummu and Poppa said...

Let's not be too eager to remove the 'extra' body parts as I too believe that they are there for a purpose (even though we can survive without them).

As we say, Barbara, if anything is going to happen, it will happen to you. Thank God you are from good sturdy stock.

Yes, it has been said that sometimes people say 'the dardest things' when coming out of anesthetic ... time will tell!

It will be good to have this day surgery over and done so you can get back into the important things in your life.

Good luck and God Bless!
Love
Mummu and Poppa
xxx ooo xxx ooo