Saturday, October 16, 2010

Thanksgiving


Last weekend was Thanksgiving here in Canada. It was also the last weekend for camping so that's where we cooked and ate our dinner. We used the nifty fireplace oven pictured above to cook both the turkey and the sweet potatoes.

The hardest part was keeping the temperature stable but it worked out.

Maybe not the fanciest table setting but hey - we WERE camping! And the food was good.

Of course the meal was finished with everyone's favourite (except mine) pumpkin pie (store bought - we had to draw the line somewhere). Afterwards we were busy bringing the leftovers back into our trailer when I must have become distracted while daydreaming about turkey sandwiches. Without really thinking I put the turkey down on the picnic table bench and let Murphy out. You can probably guess what happened next....Murphy got the turkey...the entire thing was in his mouth (he is a big dog). Jim managed to get it out mostly intact but it was too late to salvage anything. I love dogs but I have my limits. On the bright side, at least we all got to eat and didn't have to deal with leftovers. And Murphy had a good sleep...

The next day Bennett got to enjoy even more pumpkin pie (homemade this time) when our neighbours had their dinner. Lucky guy!

4 comments:

Amy Carroll said...

That's an amazing spread...I'm so impressed you did a camping Thanksgiving!

Dawn said...

Happy Thanksgiving my Northern neighbors. I'm really looking forward to Nov. 25th after seeing your turkey. :)

Kara said...

Mmmm... your turkey looked yummy. Must be why Murphy found it irresistable!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! We camped over our Thanksgiving holidays for about 6 years. I used to cook ahead and freeze and then re-heat on-site in a much less fancy oven than yours.

I am thankful for our bloggy-friendship!
(that other) Barbara